Effective Bible Study Techniques
The Aircraft is a wonderful means of transportation, but having one without knowing how to operate it amounts to a colossal waste. This is also true of the word of God. We can have many versions of Bible (in different types and formats) but the word of God can still be scarce if we lack the skills to handle it. hence the need for Effective Bible Study Techniques
That is why the Holy Spirit instructed us through Paul, the apostle to “Study to show yourself approved. … rightly dividing the word of truth” (2Tim 2:15)
To study is not just reading the Bible always, but knowing how to correctly handle it
BENEFITS OF Effective Bible Study Techniques
- There is great joy and many benefits in understanding the Bible correctly. Such benefits include the following
- Hear the voice of your heavenly Father speaking to you.
- Learn what God is really like from his own lips (and often God’s true character turns out to be a surprise because we are so used to second hand caricatures).
- Discover the wonderful truth of salvation, and how to be sure of heaven.
- Find out the things that are on God’s heart, what really matters to him about this world and his will for your life.
- The truth actually changes you- get this, it doesn’t just inform you of things, it does things in you.
misapplying the Bible can lead to devastating consequences
The church we facing many challenges and threat, especially false teaching, secular humanism, etc. There is so much confusion on the issue of Bible interpretation. There is so much Biblical illiteracy in the church toady. The only sure solution to this threats is for us to know our Bible personally. That is the only dependable source for authentic Christianity. Misunderstanding, misinterpreting and misapplying the Bible can lead to devastating consequences. Looking at 2Pet 3:16 and Acts 20:29-31) 2 Peter 3:16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
Peter said those who distort the scripture do so to their own destruction. So we need to be careful how we handle God’s word.
Acts 20:29-31 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.
If we do not know the Bible for ourselves we make ourselves a pray in the hand of ravenous wolves, who disguise as prophets of God.
EFFECTIVE BIBLE STUDY
EFFECTIVE BIBLE STUDY is when you, as an individual, take time to study God’s word. It could either be devotional in nature for personal benefit and application, or it could be for Bible knowledge (understanding), God gave us the Bible for a purpose; to hear Him, to know Him and to do His will. So when we keep our Bibles on the table or on the shelve and do not use it, we are not fulfilling His purpose.
- God wants us to hear His word. Acts 13:7, Rom.10:14, 1 Thess. 2:13. We hear God’s word when it is preached by godly men in the church, fellowships, through media, in books, cassettes, etc.
- God expects and commands us to read His word personally and as a group. 1 Tim. 4:13; Luke 4:16, Acts 8:30 The Bible contains exciting actions, characters with whom you can identify with, and help for all the good and not-so-good situations in your life. All you have to do is read to find it all. The Bible is a big collection of stories, so we will do well to read one story at a time. Pick books of the Bible and read it story after story.
- God wants us to study his word, individually and as a group (Ezra. 7:10, Acts 17:11, John 5:39).
- God wants us to memorize his Word
memorizing His Word
Scripture Memory is committing to heart some portions of Scripture, hiding God’s Word in our hearts (Psalm 119:9). The Holy Spirit will use the word lodged in a person’s heart to convict, cleanse, instruct, guide, train in righteous living, and give victory (2 Tim, 3:15-17)
Meditate on God’s Word Meditating on God’s word means thinking seriously about it as it affects your life. “It is pondering on the truth of God’s word with a view to letting it help and re-adjust your life”. Scripture memory is part of meditation. You must decide how to respond positively to God’s word (Joshua 1:8).
Obey God’s Word
- After all the above have been done Good expects us to obey his word – Matt 7: 24-27; John 8:31-32,
THE BLESSING IS IN OBEY THE WORD NOT JUST IN STUDYING, READING, HEARING – JOHN 13:17