TOPIC: Contending for the faith, TEXT: Jude 1:1-23: Memory verse:II cor.5:7
Introduction: The original intention of God creating man was for man to enjoy his stay here on earth, and to enjoy everlasting (unending) life and not to struggle. that is why he endowed the earth with good things before creating man, but the coming of sin on earth engaged man on a continuous struggle (contending) with life. To achieve a successful good living we need to focus Contending For The Faith.
Thus, “contending for the faith” means a continuous struggle against sin (i.e activities of the flesh) and wicket people in order to live according to God original plan for man on earth so as to find rest in heaven and on earth on the last day. Hence, contending for the faith becomes necessary for us to survive a holy life and do away with all forms of the works of flesh (Gal.5:19-21); and to attain to eternity; and finally find rest from all struggle of life and wicket people.
Section A: Basic of faith and contending factors
- Practically discuss what faith is: (matt. 8:10,13,John 1:12, Rom 10:17, Heb.11:1-2,6)
- “the righteous (just) shall live by faith”. Discuss according to the following scriptures: Acts 26:17-18, Rom. 1:16-17, 3:23-28, 5:1-2 II Cor. 5:7 Gal. 3:11, 22-26, Heb 11:3-34.
- From Jude 1:3-5; what is contending for the faith?
- What are the things to contend with?
- Matt :26:41, Rom 8:5-8
- Ungodliness/ungodly people
- Witchcraft (occultism): Exod. 22:18, I sam 15:23, Deut. 18:9-12
- Deceivers (false prophets): Jude 4, 11-16, Matt. 24:4-5, 11
- Evil generation (Jet/Computer age):II Tim. 3;1-7, Matt 24:12
- Persecution/hatred; Matt 5:11-12, 24:9-10
Section B: How to contend for the faith
- Outline and briefly discuss the strategies of contending for the faith from the following Bible characters:
- Joseph: Gen. 37:2, 13-14, 39:1-2, 6-12
- David: I sam. 17:26, 31-50, 30;1, 6-8, 18-19.
- Daniel: Dan. 1:8,19-20.
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; Dan. 3:14-27
- Paul and Silas; Acts 16:16-40
- Stephen; Acts 7:1-3, 51-60.
- Peter and John: Acts 4:1-4, 8-31.
- Jesus; matt 4:1-11, Luke 23:32-34.
Discuss the following fundamentals of faith.
- Faith through repentance; John 1:12, Rom. 10:9, I John 1:9.
- The Holy Spirit; John 14:26-27, Gal. 5:16-18.
- The word of God: Jer. 23:29, I peter 2:2, John 1:8, Psalm 119:9-10.
- Prayer: matt. 26:41, I Thess. 5:17.
- Spiritual maturity: II peter 3:18, Jude 20, Heb. 6:1-5.
dangers and benefit of contending for the faith
(a) What are the dangers of not contending for the faith? Rev. 21:8, II Tim 4:10, Prov. 21:16.
(b) What are the benefits of the faith contender? Matt. 24:12, Phil 2:9-11, Heb. 12:1-3.
To contend for the faith therefore become necessary as Jesus said “strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many I say to you will seek to enter but will not be able” (Luke 13:24). May His grace be made available as we contend for the faith. In Jesus Name Amen.